Friday, January 23, 2009

Nothing wrong with me!

Sometimes that crazy Dr Phil makes sense. I don't watch religiously, but I haven't been feeling well and I was holding down the couch today, so I turned it on. He had an interesting girl on today, who's 33, a mom of 4 and wants to be adopted. HMMMM....I say to myself, what's this about?? Well, turns out, she has no relationship with her mom and wants a "mom" to fill the hole her biological mother doesn't feel like doing.
WOW! I think, that sounds much like me! I grew up hearing things like " I never should have had children!" and "why did I have kids?". These comments are somewhat disturbing to an adult, let alone a child. Well, I stop short at calling it mental/emotional abuse. My husband says it is, it has really tortured me through the years. I am an adult and I make my own choices in life, no blaming my parents here.
I finally realized today, after many years of puzzling about why my mom shouldn't have had my brother and I and trying to figure out what I did so wrong....As it turns out, NOTHING is wrong with me. The people with the problem are my parents. My mom for her painful words and my father for not stopping it....
I have tried over the years to change them, to make them see how much pain they caused me and my brother (who doesn't speak to me, don't know why), but it is always turned around to be some problem of mine, my skin is too thin, I take everything personally, I am too dramatic.
Well, maybe I am one or more of those things at times, but why can't they ever see what they've done?
I think maybe they know somewhere deep down that things weren't right and buying me Gap jeans didn't fix anything....I just wanted real love and acceptance and I don't think I will ever get it.
I thank them anyway, they have shown me what NOT to do with my kids....I won't but their forgiveness for my mistakes, I will just apologize and tell them I'm not perfect, but I try. I will never let them think that they were mistakes in my life. I will make sure they always know I am proud of them. I will help them with their problems, not make fun of them. I will make sure they always know I love them.
I will also beg God not to let me become a bitter old woman, a victim of my body and a disease I can't control (MS), I will try everyday to be thankful for who I am and what God has blessed me with.
My life has definitely not been as bad as so many other children, there are much worse things done to children than what happened to me...I can't fathom what some kids have gone through to become wonderful people in the end...

No comments:

Post a Comment